Thursday 13 November 2014




The Silkscreen Sessions

I print, therefore I am...

6th November 2014

After the excitement of the Marvellous Manrique I was looking forward to producing work which could be inspired by his vibrant textural colour paintings and large scale mosaics eg. volcanic oil studies and garden sculptures; combining this with my own fine linear drawing. I wanted to use silkscreen and lithography for these initial studies as I thought the processes would produce the most effective results for both fine line and textured block abstracts on a smooth photo plate or thin grade paper.  
Abstrakter Bild - Richter

I loved Manriques' Miro-esque collages, metal figurative garden sculptures and the limited colour palette and patterns contained within his oily mixed media canvasses which evoked the landscape he loved. (See Kyffin Williams, Kurt Jackson and Gerhard Richter whose visual work is also suggestive of rough textural planes but especially the tactile quality of a surface). 

https://www.gerhard-richter.com/en/
http://kurtjackson.com/
http://www.kyffinwilliams.info/oriel-kyffin-williams.html

I love the autumn for its sense of melancholy... There is poetry in the dying of the year and mystery as well.' Kyffin Williams

Skeisse zu Parkstuck - Richter
The starting point for this print work was my own sketchbook studies of the rugged island seascapes; cliffs and rocks, undulating and folding, simplistic yet extremely complex in its composition. 

Once the right sketches were chosen and I had scanned, re-touched and tweaked them, the structural landscapes were transferred onto acetate by the enigmatic Ben (a lovely male Mona Lisa). 
I used one of these A2 positives as the base for a range of experiments. However, time was not on my side. I attempted several mono prints as a basis for the keyline work and then also block textured transparent shapes to accentuate and define solid areas. This was supplemented by adding collage and drawing directly onto the screen and also onto the wet silkscreen prints. 

This exploratory work is ongoing, rather haphazard and to be continued ... Less Descartes more Des O'Connor, rather like me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment