Friday 11 December 2015

DIY

November 27th 2015

I have been looking at the best material for projecting my images onto in order to create my own 'skin' style canvas. I want a medium which was malleable, permeable to light and colour and tensile enough to stretch seamlessly over the human form. This stretched material would then be a base to project my life drawings and possibly 'retro' deconstructed silkscreen images onto.
As you know I am interested in the idea of Camouflage and this theme works in parallel with my projections. I want to try to hide the human figure and human face within a miasma of colour and fluid line.

White Lycra or Spandex appears to be the DIY projection screen of choice - also white vinyl works too. In trying to source this material found that projector screen material is a form of vinyl. Grey and Pearlescent 'flat' vinyl screen colours are effective for different reasons.
with grey vinyl the images appear brighter and are 'viewable from more angles'. Matt white is a good all round colour, however, pearlescent gives the best contrast.

Take a look at this video on YouTube: think man in brown overall sawing and coughing in a shed...
http://youtu.be/d-WWm8f3nyk

Examples of Screen and Wrapping Material

White seamless paper for Photography
This is advantageous as an 'efficient' alternative to vinyl or fabric in a controlled studio or staged setting. However the paper must be fixed and tensioned so that the image is not distorted.

Vinyl for moving or still imagery
This is a more expensive option for projections but can be used unsupported or backed by textile vinyl.

Rubberised Canvas
The advantages of this is that this material can be folded or durable and can be used for interior or exterior shots.

White Pearlised Spandex 
This is the most effective material for my own projections and what I used for the initial studio shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment