Monday 18 January 2016

Who the hell am I? 

That is the question .....
The assessment is over for the professional development module and I passed!!!! 
Yippee ki-ay motherfuckers. 

The variety of styles within my own work are as eclectic and diverse as a red snapper wearing a kimono directing a light opera, with photographic light projections and digital textile prints produced alongside Lino and Silkscreen prints. In spite of this Sarah Bodman was as objective as ever ( I am slightly in awe of her and her professional 'kitten loving' approach; she is astute and brighter than a brain pie ). Therefore, I realise that it is time to re-evaluate my approach and play to my strengths and a good starting point is my fluid organic drawing skills. 

What is clear to me is that at the moment I have no idea where my work is going. However, what I do know is that I am inspired by the figurative and the colourful and have been attempting to capture the energy and effervescence of vibrant colour and translate it through my projections, canvasses and silkscreen interpreted life drawings. Ian Chamberlain (the mesmeric Etching Guru) gave me a piece of good advice - don't worry about the direction that will find you, just make work that makes you happy. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where my 'happy' resides but I'm hopeful that during the course of the next module it will appear, like the green apparition 'Spud' in Ghostbusters, and bite me on the arse.

 "In my work I have come to realise that the more I know, the less I know. Being with the unknown is the only way for potential to unfold and for consciousness to arise. Knowing can act as a block, serving to keep us from the discomfort of what we cannot predict or control. To not know requires faith, courage and acceptance.

Sitting in the Unknown is hard, no doubt. But it is really only in the unknown that the known can be found. 

As Jung said " Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate". 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Hi Clare, hang on in there, your direction will pop up when you least expect it! Your fluid, colourful, energetic work reflects your lovely, lively warm personality and will flow there naturally. Keep playing to your strengths and your strengths will play to you...! x

    ReplyDelete