Saturday 20 February 2016

A.N.Other new Direction

February 11th 2016 


Don't wait for a good idea to come to you. Start by realising an average idea – no one has to see it. 

Be brief, concise and direct. Anyone who over-complicates things is at best insecure and at worst stupid. Children speak the most sense and they haven't read Nietzsche.
Polly Morgan - artist

Keep it simple.
Daydream. 
Give yourself plenty of time to do nothing.
Susan Phillipsz - artist


http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2012/jan/02/top-artists-creative-inspiration


After one of a series of self-conscious discussions about the direction and relevance of my creative work with course tutor Ian Chamberlain (the erudite, elegant etcher) the quotes above make sense. I have been attempting to over-complicate my work, thinking about what i 'should' do rather than what makes me happy. Therefore I have begun to concentrate on working with my drawings which are my strength. I started by working on a large scale silkscreen print (A0 size) which morphed into a painting and then into a digital textile print. By working into my original silkscreen prints with acrylic paint and trying to join up the figures, I began to produce a form of vibrant, 'dancing' cohesive 'Matisse-y' pattern. 
I intended the colour palette to be limited but vibrant. I want the impact of colour to coincide with the simplicity  - both linear and tonal. I thought then that this simplicity could perhaps be translated into more abstract mono prints selected from the original image using a viewfinder and working from my cropped photographic 'projection' images. 



Therefore this is what I have started to do; using some of the photographic projections I produced late last year using the female form as a canvas - I have begun taking small areas and using digital manipulation (photoshop and illustrator) and traditional paint techniques simplifying the shapes on canvas and on screen, to recreate the female form.

The vibrant colour within my work, the fluidity and multi-layered style is Dufy-esque, Rauschenberg-like and motivated by one of my current Professional Practice influences, Miss Bugs.








No comments:

Post a Comment