Saturday 23 April 2016

Fabric Samples and Storage

What the hell are Pinking Shears??

Yinka Shonibare pattern 2013
I have produced a series of textile designs which have been digitally printed onto a range of fabric samples. I have done this to explore which material further accentuates the curves and follows the folds of the body more accurately when draped onto the human form. 
I have looked at a number of ways to present and collate material print samples. Examples of my  fabric work has been sent to Petri Justin at Marimekko for feedback - the work of Maija Louekari and Maija Isola is similar in style to some of my own - and I have introduced  abstract forms into the backgrounds of my recent work in response to this.

Viktor & Rolf - Van gogh Sunrise 2015
Viktor and Rolf - Vogue Spring 2015
Initially I used Photoshop to manipulate and then combine images together. My inspiration for this set of designs has come from a variety of artists; particularly Miss Bugs, who has formed the basis for my Professional Practice report, but also the work of Viktor and Rolf (particularly their 'Van Gogh' inspired Spring Collection 2015), Yinka Shonibare (specifically his fabric covered sculptural figures and vibrant patterns), Aubrey Beardsley and Jasper Goodall (their linear and monochrome figurative work).

I have printed a selection of small, eclectic designs (incorporating scanned Linocuts, Silkscreen prints, Acrylic paintings, Ink line drawings and Collage) onto a mixture of fabrics including: Cotton Duck Canvas, Juniper Linen, Bamboo Silk Satin, Twill Silk and Wool Delaine.
Salome - Aubrey Beardsley
In my opinion, Silk blends are most effective for capturing the essence of the figure - these fabrics are not only more tactile and soft but hang better when draped and folded across the body.


Hardcover books, cloth books or hangar style drapes could be methods I use in order to store and present my fabric samples effectively. However, I am particularly concerned about collating 'pages' of fabric and stitching a book together as I have the sewing skills of a pickled egg. 




 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment