Wednesday 12 October 2016

REPEAT PATTERNS FOR FABRICThe magic of Photoshop and Digital print


spot cut out pattern
I am continuing to explore the combination of my figurative studies with conventional printed imagery and bright colour, drawing on traditional famous works of western art as the ‘recognisable’ addition to my existing drawing and silkscreen print work.


random fill pattern
In an attempt to incorporate my figurative designs as patterns using existing linear work I am creating repeat patterns which match up and overlap successfully for print. Previously, I have loved how my designs appeared when printed digitally onto fabric...Magical!! 

Therefore, in order to produce accurate repeats I have experimented with a series of sophisticated Photoshop techniques which have produced a variety of detailed repeat patterns using my scanned linear nudes. 

Once transferred to folex or acetate, these figurative patterns can be further explored using textile processes for example, flocking, illuminated discharge printing and dip dying sample fabric. I can then assess which is the most successful and beneficial process for future work. 



My favourite patterns are the 'spot cut out' and crazy 'random fill'. I think these patterns (with the addition of colour and defined figures) have most potential for production as large silkscreen print or textile pieces. 

symmetry fill pattern

half drop pattern
spot repeat pattern











straight drop pattern

No comments:

Post a Comment