Monday 5 October 2015

DEVELOPING PRACTICE

1st October 2015


Today's the day for my Tutorial with the Dream Team - Paul Laidler, Sarah Bodman and Ian Chamberlain, after last week's Developing Practice and Professional Practice introduction. I'm due to discuss my creative direction and also attempt to work out my own 'Developing Practice', which at the moment is limited to a fuck load of life drawing, enormous mixed media flower canvasses and Harold the Helicopter.

As far as I can make out 'Developing Practice' is meant to be a springboard for the 2nd year, looking at the last two modules and seek out areas of affinity with one's own practice and links to developing this. Making mistakes is almost mandatory which is a good thing as I am awash with self doubt. Tutorial sessions, therefore are vital as is challenging yourself to try a myriad of new ways of working.

My Tutorial time was 10.45am. Waiting outside the door I glimpsed Chris Watkins (as tall as a willow and brighter than a brain pie), who had brought his life's work with him, snowdrifts of work, or so it appeared.  I had nothing to 'bring to the table' except myself. However, there was no need to fear, Sarah (enigmatic and objective) and Ian (old blue eyes) were as comforting and supportive as a hug and Paul said very little but looked impressive. 

I have been working on large scale canvasses with a newspaper collage twist, to try to incorporate print. Sarah asked the question "Why"? It has made me feel it's ok to make work using whatever medium I choose and then decide what to do with it.  A relief and not just in the printing sense. Ian suggested having a look at 'The Big Draw' and so I have contacted Lucy Cox Senior Careers Advisor to arrange the possibility of voluntary work in this area. I know I am an energetic and imaginative facilitator - I just have no clue what to facilitate now.
Areas could include fabric and textile print which I love and the idea of projections.

Check out: Robert Kaufman, Skinny La Minz, Michael Miller and Blackpop. 


No comments:

Post a Comment