Sunday 11 October 2015

GERMAN EXPRESSIONISM AND ME

"Now I'm getting the word..."

October 11th 2015

 

Despite a positive tutorial, deciding on a print direction or creative path to enhance my own practice has been a challenge. Reminiscent of the psychic Clinton Baptiste from Phoenix Nights  www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIU4-PWRyw4
I have been "getting the word..Angst"...  The series of mixed media organic themed canvasses I began late August 2015, where a heavy linear style caused me to look again at German Expressionism, have yet to be resolved. However, my initial influences: Lyonel Feininger, Erich Henkel and Olga Cechova (see blog October 2014) are becoming the springboard ideologies for a series of initial Linocuts. 
Olga Cechova - Die Weisse Figur

With this in mind, the expressionistic approach within this work could be seen as a presentation of my world from a subjective perspective - any organic or figurative form I reproduce visually, the immediacy or spontaneity of the drawn line, is evocative of my emotional response to that specific subject. 

According to Dr. Mark Bunyan http://artblart.com
Expressionist artists sought to express the meaning of emotional experience rather than physical reality. Therefore the term is sometimes suggestive of Angst.

I think perhaps what I am attempting to evoke is an emotional response in the viewer and a spontaneity to my drawing that is reminiscent of 'life' and energy. Let's see if I can maintain the momentum.




My initial Linocut ideas working from my own life drawings





No comments:

Post a Comment