Saturday 26 November 2016

DIGITAL PRINT TEXTILES – Patterns and Swatches


I have been experimenting with figurative patterns, random fill nudes, circles and spot shapes. These examples incorporate my drawn human forms and combine selected colours from chosen Renaissance portraits to use as solid backgrounds for textile prints. This sampling of colours from the selected images adds continuity to each of my textile and digital pieces.

ORANGE taken from my interpretation of ‘the Armada’ by George Gower 
(Portrait of Elizabeth 1)





























RED taken from my interpretation of the portrait of ‘Isabel Dona de la Porcel’ 


by Francisco Goya

UMBER taken from one of a series of my interpretations of 
‘Portrait of a Lady’ by Rogier van der Weyden

I used Photoshop fills editing a range of figures in spiral, symmetrical and random designs and adding a background coloured layer. Each of these designs could be translated into swatch ideas.

Linen seems to be the most effective fabric for print.  The obvious ‘slubby’ textured structure of this fabric is visible through the printed colour to represent the look of paint on canvas and it drapes and folds beautifully. However, I have a range of fabric samples to test until I find the most suitable for drape, shape and colour examples include:
 Silk Habotai Heavy, Silk/Viscose Satin (Devore), Twill Silk, Satin Silk and Cotton Valdez.

The final outcomes from these experiments are fluid and not refined yet, but could be sculptural constructions for garments or translated into silkscreen prints or repeat patterns for soft furnishing fabric.









No comments:

Post a Comment