Monday 22 May 2017


BLUE IDENTITY

" I want to paint the body of a woman first. I give her the grace and charm, and then something more. I am going to condense the meaning of this body, looking for its essential lines .."
"... a body without physiognomy, sexuality.. embodiment - all that would give it identity...always search for the desire of the line, where it wishes to enter or where to die away".
Henri Matisse

Reminiscent of my minimal mini print  (Arnolfini 'Tiny Lady) I have produced a series of linear nude silkscreen prints. I wanted to keep a certain simplicity of line for these images in contrast to my previous print work where the subjects are photographic and complex; with the patterns within the portraits made up of my layered figurative outlines. 

These single forms are compositionally strong and I have played with the juxtaposition of the figure against rectangular shapes - single and double overlapping shades of blue - and with the skin like texture and dots.
http://www.yveskleinarchives.org.  I started with Yves Klein blue but it became varying transparencies Pthalo blue as in the 'blue nudes by Matisse.

My 'desire of line' creates the form with its changing shape dependant on the pressure of a pen and the identity of these female characters hidden due to a lack of facial and sexual features - Barbie? I don't think so!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment